What is JDBC ?
- JDBC stands for java database connectivity.
- JDBC is an API that help us to achieve connectivity between java program and database
- If we have web application and if we have database then web application must interact with database to read or modifies a data.
- JDBC is help us to Achieve this functionality.
- TO interact with any database JDBC must needed.
Advantage of JDBC
• Since JDBC API built upon java so it inherits advantage of java
• JDBC is Database independent
• Using JDBC we can interact with multiple database.
• We can achieve high Performance using JDBC with the help of
o Prepare statement
o Callable statement
• JDBC support Stored Procedure.
Necessary step to work with JDBC
- Load driver
- Get the db connection via driver
- Issue sql query via connection
- Process the result return by sql query
- Close all JDBC object
JDBC is an API(Collection of Packages)
JDBC uses Driver to interact with database
What is Driver ?
- Driver is additional software component require by JDBC to
interact with database.
- Driver are Provided by Database vendor and they are Database
- Driver is a concrete class present in jar file
- Driver help us to establish database connection, transfer database
query and result between java program and database.
How to load DriverThere are two ways to load driver
Driver ref=new Driver();
another way to load driver using
this approach is most common approach to load driver and
this approach automatically register driver class
There are Four types of Driver
- Type-1 JDBC ODBC Bridge
- Type-2 Native API
- Type-3 Network protocol
- Type-4 Native Protocol
- Type-1 and Type-2 require Client side installation so it is less efficient.
- Type-3 and Type-4 Driver develop using java so it is efficient.
- Type-3 driver support More database.
- Type-4 Driver give high performance because it is directly connected with database
Step to Configure Driver:
1. Configure project build path
- Download mysql zip file and Extract it
- go to eclipse
- right click on project
- select build path
- choose option “Add External Archive” and Select mysql connector jar file
What is Jar file ?
- It is collection of ‘ .class ‘ + other necessary
- Jar file help us to transfer the java application from
one place to another place.