Necessary step to work with JDBC
- Load driver
- Get the db connection via driver
- Issue sql query via connection
- Process the result return by sql query
- Close all JDBC object
JDBC is an API(Collection of Packages)
JDBC uses Driver to interact with database
- Driver is additional software component require by JDBC to
interact with database.
- Driver are Provided by Database vendor and they are Database
- Driver is a concrete class present in jar file
- Driver help us to establish database connection, transfer database
query and result between java program and database.
import java.sql.DriverManager; import com.mysql.jdbc.Driver; Driver ref=new Driver(); DriverManager.registerDriver(ref);
another way to load driver using
this approach is most common approach to load driver and
this approach automatically register driver class
Types of Driver:
- Type-1 JDBC ODBC Bridge
- Type-2 Native API
- Type-3 Network protocol
- Type-4 Native Protocol
- Type-1 and Type-2 require Client side installation so it is less efficient.
- Type-3 and Type-4 Driver develop using java so it is efficient.
- Type-3 driver support More database.
- Type-4 Driver give high performance because it is directly connected with database
- Download mysql zip file and Extract it
- go to eclipse
- right click on project
- select build path
- choose option “Add External Archive” and Select mysql connector jar file
- It is collection of ‘ .class ‘ + other necessary
- Jar file help us to transfer the java application from
one place to another place.